RE: trace name ERRORSTACK vs. trace name context forever

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_poderc.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 01:29:54 -0700

Hi,

Depends on what you want to do.

If you want to get an error stack trace at detail level 3 once when this error happens (per session) then you can use what you mentioned:

    alter system set events '3120 trace name errorstack level 3';

This would dump errorstack only on the first occurrance of that error in the session. Subsequent errors in that session will not cause a stack dump.

You can use this to make a session always dump errors stack on that error:

    alter session set events '3120 trace name errorstack level 3, forever';

Or if you want to dump the errorstack on let say first 42 ocurrences in that session, you can use lifetime option instead of forever:

    alter session set events '3120 trace name errorstack level 3, lifetime 42';

The second command you mentioned would dump context specific trace information for that event number. Not all event numbers have context specific tracing available. And I haven't seen any events in the error code range which would have context specific trace so I think it wouldn't help you.

--

Tanel Poder
http://blog.tanelpoder.com