RE: RAC behavior - with Oracle JDBC Thin Driver - is this expected behavior?

From: Pradeep Chetal <>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:31:33 -0500

From: Bradd Piontek [] Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:54 PM To: Pradeep Chetal
Cc: Oracle L
Subject: Re: RAC behavior - with Oracle JDBC Thin Driver - is this expected behavior?

I believe the connect string is only one part of the equation. The 10gR2 JDBC thin driver should be able to subscribe to ONS events, but I believe you have to enable it in the connection pool. check out for some examples.

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,

        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your
  • William Feather

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Pradeep Chetal <> wrote:

We have a Java based app that runs with Weblogic and oracle 10gr2 as the DB.

We use the following for the RAC string for JDBC connection

RAC_STRING =       jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_(DESCRIPTION=

We use this with a 2-node RAC and all the API calls to our application are sort of evenly distributed between the 2 nodes.

Now if for some reason, node 1goes down, we see that NOT all the new API calls go to node-2 RAC. Some of them are lost until we re-start the application.

I thought the RAC_STRING will be dynamic and will NOT send calls to node 1 if it is down.

Are we missing any configuration parameters here?

  • Pradeep

Pradeep Chetal
Sr. Director - Infrastructure Architecture

Mformation Technologies Inc.
Switchboard: +1 732 692 6200

Visit MFORMATION <> at MWC in Barcelona, Hall 1 Booth A56, Mobile World Congress 2009
<> and see how the MFORMATION SERVICE MANAGER can help you to transform your business.