RAC behavior - with Oracle JDBC Thin Driver - is this expected behavior?

From: Pradeep Chetal <Pradeep.Chetal_at_mformation.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 19:42:37 -0500

Hi,

We have a Java based app that runs with Weblogic and oracle 10gr2 as the DB.

We use the following for the RAC string for JDBC connection

RAC_STRING =       jdbc:oracle:thin:_at_(DESCRIPTION=

            (FAILOVER=ON)
(LOAD_BALANCE=ON)

(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=dingo)(PORT=1521))

(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=wolf)(PORT=1521))

(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=msmdb)))

We use this with a 2-node RAC and all the API calls to our application are sort of evenly distributed between the 2 nodes.

Now if for some reason, node 1goes down, we see that NOT all the new API calls go to node-2 RAC. Some of them are lost until we re-start the application.

I thought the RAC_STRING will be dynamic and will NOT send calls to node 1 if it is down.

Are we missing any configuration parameters here?

Thanks,

  • Pradeep

Pradeep Chetal
Sr. Director - Infrastructure Architecture

Mformation Technologies Inc.
Switchboard: +1 732 692 6200

Visit MFORMATION at MWC in Barcelona, Hall 1 Booth A56, Mobile World Congress 2009 and see how the MFORMATION SERVICE MANAGER can help you to transform your business.