RE: Does the Rman Catalog hold tape volume names?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:17:18 -0700

I'm not sure if we're on the same page - I know you're talking about "tape" backups, but in real life, what you might think of as a "tape" backup could very likely go to a disk staging unit used by your media management software (TSM in your case, Netbackup in mine). As far as Oracle/RMAN is concerned this is a "tape" backup through the sbt_tape device type, but really it's sitting on disk until your media management software gets around to moving it off to tape (which may even be never). This is a very common practice to improve the performance of backups & restores due to the limited speed & capacity of tapes. If this is the case in your environment, then you won't get a tape label in your RMAN media column - you'll just get some mostly useless identifier for the disk path that your media management software used for staging the backup.

Regards,
Brandon