RE: Does the Rman Catalog hold tape volume names?

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:01:57 -0700

Just beware - the information from the media column will be useless if your backup is going to a disk staging area before it goes to tape, and it also won't tell you if your backup spanned multiple tapes, or if it was migrated later to a different tape from the original by your media management software. It's really just there for looks - it can't be relied on.

What is the retention on your backups? Maybe it's only 14 days and 1/29 is still within that policy, but 1/27 is not?

If you were on Netbackup, I'd recommend using the bplist and/or bpclimagelist commands to search the Netbackup catalog directly for your backups, but I don't know what the equivalent is for TSM.

Good luck,
Brandon