Oracle Installation on Windows

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:06:42 -0800

Greetings,

I'm having a conversation with one of my co-workers re privileges, oracle and windows. I am working with Windows Server 2003, 64-bit and Oracle 10gR2. Our standard practice is to create an Oracle account which is a member of the local administrators group, essentially full administrative rights on the box. The Oracle installation is done while logged in as the Oracle user. In one situation I encountered problems and Oracle had me uninstall and then reinstall while connected as the local admin account. I just installed the January 2009 CPU on a windows box and something broke. I opened an SR with Oracle, we solved the problem but again the question arose as to whether the installation had been done as Oracle or the local admin account with the suggestion that it might be necessary to uninstall and reinstall while connected as the local admin account. I have done quite a number of installations as Oracle rather than the local admin account as well as upgrades and patching but t  wice the question of who did the installation has arisen.

My question, can someone explain why, if oracle is a member of the administrators group with full administrative rights on the box it would matter whether the installation is done as Oracle or the local admin account? Is there documentation available which might give me some more insight into this question?

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center