Interpreting create_table_cost (10.2)

From: <>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:08:53 -0600

Hello everybody:

I want to confirm that I am interpreting the output from the output from this procedure correctly.

This is how I run it:

   dbms_space.create_table_cost (

       tablespace_name => '&ts_name',
       avg_row_size => &row_size,
       row_count => &row_count,
       pct_free => &pct_free,
       used_bytes => l_used_bytes,
       alloc_bytes => l_alloc_bytes

   dbms_output.put_line('Used: '||l_used_bytes);    dbms_output.put_line('Allocated: '||l_alloc_bytes); end;

If at the end I see that Used value is much smaller than Allocated, that means that I can release some disk space if I were to recreate this table with, say smaller initial extent. Is that correct interpretation?

thank you

Gene Gurevich