OCFS2, blockdev and readahead

From: Vladimir Barac <vbarac_at_Alghanim.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 12:48:25 +0300

Greetings, listers

Oracle, OCFS2, single instance database, NetApp FCP disks

Do we need to set readahead to greater than 0 for OCFS2? What would be ideal value? How to measure impact - positive/negative?

Storage admins would prefered "blockdev --setra" to be set to maximum value, to speed up filesystem backups. On the other hand, since oracle will use O_DIRECT on OCFS2, I believe we don't need readahead to be set.

Thanks in advance,
Vladimir Barac
Database administrator | Alghanim Industries P.O. Box 223, Safat 13003, Kuwait
Tel: +965 1881 111 / ext. 2960

This e-mail message and any attachments to it are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain confidential and privileged information. This e-mail message and any attachments are the property of Yusuf A. Alghanim & Sons w.l.l. or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates (“Alghanim Industries”). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution of this e-mail message or its attachments is prohibited. Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Alghanim Industries. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments.