Re: future of ocfs2

From: LS Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 15:27:50 +0100

Hi

I think OCFS2 is not bad, from technical point of view I dont think its performance is worse than ASM, from manageability and user view is more friendly. Of course ASM has its unique features but I have customer who doesnt like it because it looks like a black box to them, just need more time to get used to it.

But that is probably one of the reasons Oracle is going to make ASM a Cluster File System. Another reason is UTL_FILE, many places use UTL_FILE and of course ASM cannot be used. I have customers who need to use OCFS2 just for that reason (or NAS).

With OCFS2 I have found strange eviction problemas, having OCFS2 and Clusterware running is like having two Cluster Managers in same system so sometimes it is hard to diagnostic server reboot problems. But with latest version it seems mature and stable enough.

Sharing binaries I dont think it is a very good idea.

So should you use OCFS2 as standard? I think you should consider it, I mean migrate it to ASMFS when it comes there should be any major problems.

Thanks

--
LSC