RE: Standby on Same box

From: D'Hooge Freek <>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 21:08:38 +0100

If you want to have a rapid restore of a datafile, you could also use a copy backup on disk and then use the switch to copy command in case of a lost datafile.

Freek D'Hooge
Oracle Database Administrator
tel. +32 (0)3 451 23 82

From: [] On Behalf Of Howard Latham [] Sent: 03 February 2009 20:00
To: Maureen English
Subject: Re: Standby on Same box

At a certain Bank someone unknown deleted a database file. In that situation the
Standby on the same box would be ideal. Financial trading needs rapid failover. The same thing happened the next day ! (Double ouch) I think there was a string of redundancies at the time.

On 03/02/2009, Maureen English <> wrote:
> I agree with the other comments regarding having a standby that is
> planned for use as a failover on a different box. However, we've
> been considering having a logical standby on the same box, where its
> purpose would be simply a reporting database.
> - Maureen
> Howard Latham wrote:
>> Oracle 10g and 11g.
>> I have just been told by a consultant that a standby on the same box
>> as a primary is not recommended.(We also have a standby on another
>> box) My feeling is that will speedup a rebuild should we ever have to
>> switch over and switch back.Any views?

Howard A. Latham