RE: Re: Standby on Same box

From: SHEEHAN, JEREMY <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_fpl.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 14:36:30 -0500

we use this configuration frequently....
SERVER 1                                             SERVER 2
---------------------------                   ---------------------------
PRIMARY A, STANDBY B                STANDBY A, PRIMARY B

Seems to work out pretty well since the DB's are OLTP with minimal processing. There is hardly any activity from the standby as it's just applying logs

Jeremy
P Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of kathy duret Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 2:21 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Fw: Re: Standby on Same box

If you are having the reporting instance on the same box as your production it is still a bad idea.

Poorly written reports or large reports slow down production transactional processing.

Keep production clean...

The more you put on the prod box the more likely LIFE will happen.

I have the scars to prove it.

  • On Tue, 2/3/09, Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu> wrote: From: Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu> Subject: Re: Standby on Same box To: howard.latham_at_gmail.com Cc: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Tuesday, February 3, 2009, 12:31 PM

I agree with the other comments regarding having a standby that is

planned for use as a failover on a different box. However, we've

been considering having a logical standby on the same box, where its

purpose would be simply a reporting database.

  • Maureen