RE: rman duplicate to previous version after upgrade

From: Toth, Istvan 5 (GE Money) <"Toth,>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 00:35:22 +0100

Hello Jared,

I registered the upgraded database to the 10g catalog. So the backup information is available in the old 9i catalog (we have three separate RMAN catalog databases, one for 8i databases, one for 9i databases, one for 10g databases, not just different shema in a catalog database)

I tried to start duplicate with the old oracle home (92040) RMAN command and with the old catalog, but I can't connect to target because it's running now from a different OH (102030) and duplicate doesn't work without "connect target" as far as I Know.

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 7:18 PM
To: Toth, Istvan 5 (GE Money)
Cc: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: rman duplicate to previous version after upgrade

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Toth, Istvan 5 (GE Money) <istvan5.toth_at_ge.com> wrote:

        Hello list,

	A target database has been upgraded to 10.2.0.3 from 9.2.0.4.
	It is now necessary to restore the database to another host
taking it back to a point in time BEFORE the upgrade. I'm using an RMAN catalog database to store the backup information.

        Is it possible to do this with RMAN duplicate, or how can I do this?

How did you handle the upgrade at the RMAN catalog?

Did you register the newly upgraded database into a 10g catalog schema?

Or did you upgrade the catalog that the database was already registered in?

If the former, all you need to do is use the older catalog and duplicate the database.

If the latter, well, I don't know how to do that.

It will take some testing.

The problem would be that you will be trying to restore a 9i database using
a catalog that has been upgraded to 10g.

My suggestion would be to open an SR with Oracle Support and ask how to proceed.

Jared Still