Re: 32K block size tablespace for indexes

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:25:46 -0800

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:03 PM, hrishy <> wrote:

> Hi
> I have inherited a database where the indexes alone are in the 32k block
> tablespaces.
> Now without any documentation or anything for a hint i am just wundering
> why did the original designers design it like that?
> What are the pro's and cons of such a approach ?

It needs to be pointed out that one of the most vocal proponents of this practice found huge performance gains by doing this, but only under limited circumstances.

Oh, and a bug that caused blocks to remain off the freelist, or something like that. I don't remember details.

I do know that when the bug was fixed the test no longer saw noteworthy performance gains.

For all the juicy details, you will need to go do a search on the OTN database forum.

Shouldn't be too hard to find, and will probably take all day to read...

Jared Still