RE: ** OT : awk works only for first line

From: Bobak, Mark <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:15:34 -0500

Can you show a small sample of your data, one line that works correctly, and one or more that don't work correctly?

From: [] On Behalf Of A Joshi [] Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:25 PM
Subject: ** OT : awk works only for first line

I am trying awk to get the first word from each line in a file : I am doing : BEGIN {
{print $1}

For the first line : it prints the first work. For other lines it prints other words also. I tried to put in FS as space but that did not help. Can someone help? I did try google but could only find example like above. Thanks for help.