Re: Urgent, please: what are my options???

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:36:39 +0000

Indeed,

a former colleague of mine went on an OU course some years back. As part of the introduce yourself bit the instructor asked everyone to describe how large their main production database was, and what sort of data it held. All went well until one chap said 'My database is empty, and if it ever isn't I'm not allowed to determine what data is in it'. This as you might imagine did rather break the ice. The database in question took feeds of data from military aircraft, preprocessed them and then moved the processed data on. The DBA was not authorized to view the data. I'd suggest that the recovery requirements for that database were all about ensuring it could be quickly recreated with the correct code level, and nothing about the data at all.

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 5:03 AM, Robyn <robyn.sands_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> seems to me that this thread is missing a key point ...
>
> ... what is the system's purpose?
>
> until you know that, you don't know what the recovery requirements
> are. Some systems need to retain a permanent record, others don't.
> Not every data store needs to live forever.
>
> robyn
>
> --
> I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
> up where I needed to be.
> Douglas Adams

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info
p.s. he was on the course because the military required that their staff
were appropriately trained with recognised qualifications.