db_file_multiblock_read_count and 10g

From: Lou Avrami <avramil_at_concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:53:31 -0500 (EST)

Hello all,

We have 6 databases that could be classified as smaller data warehouses - each of them is 2-7 terabytes in size. These were running RDBMS 9.2.0.8 and are now being upgraded by the vendor who created them to 10.2.0.4.

In 9i these databases had the parameter db_file_multiblock_read_count set to 64. I believe that in 10g the general recommendation is to NOT set db_file_multiblock_read_count, that the database will dynamically determine to appropriate value for each unique transaction.

Does db_file_multiblock_read_count get set automagically in 10gR2? Does anyone have any experiences they can relate in 10gR2 with it being defined dynamically, as opposed to explicitly setting it?

The answer for us probably will be "test it", but I thought I would see if anyone out there has any experiences that could also be taken into account.

Thanks,
Lou Avrami