RE: Thoughts on crs installation on HP-UX

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:36:07 -0500

Neither bonding nor trunking offers a perfect solution for Ethernet device HA - if you try to use link aggregation, they have to both be connected to the same switch, creating a SPOF, and if they're connected to both switches, then either MII link notification (unreliable with certain drivers) or ARP pinging (bad mojo happens if an external network failure occurs) has to be used to detect failures.

Not that it won't work fine in most environments, but Linux bonding isn't nearly as nice as what the commercial clustering solutions (Veritas, SG, etc.) offer.

Thanks,
Matt

From: Matthew Zito [mailto:mzito_at_gridapp.com] Sent: vrijdag 23 januari 2009 16:16
To: Dan Norris
Cc: D'Hooge Freek; sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Thoughts on crs installation on HP-UX

I generally agree, with the two notable exception that using SG+CRS gives you the option of a clustered filesystem, something that you don't get with just CRS, and failover interconnects, which I believe you still can't do with CRS. If you don't care about those things though, or just don't want to deal with the added complexity.

Thanks,
Matt

--

Matthew Zito