Re: rman repository

From: Jack van Zanen <jack_at_vanzanen.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:23:42 +1100

Hi,

I never thought it was that strict but thought maybe this changed with 11G but....

I did a quick check and according to this link

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28273/compat003.htm

If I understand this correctly.......you can use any database version > 9.0.1 for your catalog as long as you use the RMAN binaries from 11 and the catalog is created using those binaries.

Jack

2009/1/21 Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh_at_tufts.edu>

> Hi Jared,
>
> Right, this is what I thought, I was little confused by someone mentioned
> the upgrade catalog.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joan
>
> Jared Still wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh_at_tufts.edu<mailto:
>> joan.hsieh_at_tufts.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Listers,
>>
>> I have a simple question which I couldn't find in the document right
>> away. Please bear with me.
>> We will have a 11g primary and 11g standby databases on solaris, our
>> rman catalog is 10R2 on window, do I have to upgrade rman catalog
>> database or just issue the upgrade catalog command will do it, we
>> always keep the catalog database as same version or higher than the
>> target db. But this time we have some issues to do that.
>>

>> RMAN will not allow you to register 11g databases in repository built in a
>> 10g database.
>>
>> The repository must be at least as high a version of Oracle as the
>> databases to be registered.
>>
>> You can't upgrade the catalog to 11g unless the database is also 11g.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Jared Still
>> Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist
>>
>> --

Jack van Zanen

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation