RE: How to justify a Database Shutdown

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:57:31 -0600 (CST)

<<
Hmmmm, we have a few dozen a day on a table with 2.7 *billion* rows and that instance stays up for months...

More than likely that problem - if indeed there is one - can be solved with a flush of the shared pool at a convenient idle point. I can't think of an instance where anyone would need to "recycle" - that is such an inappropriate term - an Oracle instance in Unix that is not in memory or cpu shortage.>>

Original poster did not indicate it, but one thing I would check is to assure this is a dedicated database server. We have seen DB servers running client processes that do leak memory and will benefit from the reboot. So, this may not be a database-specific problem in such a case.