RE: How to justify a Database Shutdown

From: Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <"Mercadante,>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:45:10 -0500

Very clever Niall!

But to answer the question for Guillermo, recycling database servers is an old wives tale based on web server and application server software that had memory leaks that required you to recycle to clean things up. Earlier versions of Oracle also suffered from this problem but has not in many years.

Every now and then when we get a new server admin "in house" this topic comes back. And I argue strongly that the database server does not suffer from this condition. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose.

In does not hurt you any for them to do all the work as long as you don't need to come in at ungodly hours to "watch" the reboot.

Good Luck.

Tom

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 7:12 AM
To: Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be
Cc: cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com; oracle-l
Subject: Re: How to justify a Database Shutdown

I'd be sorely tempted to agree with the client, and suggest that in fact you can 'enhance' the process by scheduling it for a designated maintenance time at which point you can apply CPU updates and so on as well. That way you likely get to keep your client happy, pro-actively suggest work and maybe even get something useful done in the downtime.

regards

Niall Litchfield

http://www.orawin.info/

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 9:55 AM, D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be> wrote:

Alan,

I think that the best way to address such issues is to place the ball back into their camp and ask them to tell you why they think a reboot will solve the problem.
If they can provide a technical reason, you can then investigate if they are wrong or not.

regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator