RE: How to justify a Database Shutdown

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:55:46 +0100

Alan,

I think that the best way to address such issues is to place the ball back into their camp and ask them to tell you why they think a reboot will solve the problem. If they can provide a technical reason, you can then investigate if they are wrong or not.

regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
e-mail: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
tel. +32 (0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
disclaimer

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Guillermo Alan Bort [cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com] Sent: 19 January 2009 10:32
To: oracle-l
Subject: How to justify a Database Shutdown

Hey experts,

   We recently took over administration over a particular database, and after a while the application owner asked for a server reboot. When digging a little, apparently they have some performance issues and believe that recylcing the instance will solve them. I am usually against rebooting servers, specially UNIX servers, but CT asked for it. They have their own DBA who agrees that an instance recycle solves the problem. My question is bacially, is this only superstition or is there any technical fact that can support this?

    Of course, Clearing Caches would be beneficial, but it's a 10.1.0.5 database, so I'm not sure it's really necessary (I have detected no signs of memory leaks and memory is being used well).

    On the other hand, there are a few queries with over 500 executions/day that perform a full table scan on a 19M records table... and I think that the performance issues *could* be tracked to those. CT is being a bit stubborn and won't allow for further investigation, but I'm certain this will happen again in about two or three months, and I want to be prepared with as much technical data and documentation as possible to oppose this 'Windows Approach' to solving a performance Issue

    Thank you very much

Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Associate
http://cicciuxdba.blogspot.com