RE: Index becomes slower over the day

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:42:51 -0500

What Greg wrote, ditto, but also, if you do before index rebuild and after index rebuild traces (10046), where it the reduction in time? Could it be your workload is primarily on followup to recent transactions(rows) and the break in work for the rebuild means many blocks of recent transactions become "clean" and possibly cached rather than being having to be read from undo and sorted out from other rows in the block still in flux to a read consistent version?

That's just one possibility underlying the question of whether the cost of the actual index part of the access is faster after the rebuild or you're seeing side effects of the rebuild. That is a question of fact that may help direct you to a solution more palatable than continously rebuilding the index.

Regards,

mwf