RE: 10g on unix. Partitions... Tablespaces... and best practices

From: April Wells <awells_at_netspend.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:12:03 -0600

Yeah, I know that they moved to the new storage method. And I know that managing a lot of tablespaces is less easy than just a few, but like I told my boss on a different topic yesterday... my primary job description isn't necessarily to make my whole job easier, but to do what is best for the company... which is why I came up with this strategy initially with the help of the consulting company that is helping with implementation of the data warehouse. I do want to consolidate some of them, but for now this seems to meet performance demands on huge tables.

April Wells

SR Oracle DBA

Netspend Corporation

http://www.netspend.com

From: SHEEHAN, JEREMY [mailto:JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_fpl.com] Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:54 AM
To: April Wells; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: 10g on unix. Partitions... Tablespaces... and best practices

E-biz has moved to a new tablespace method now. It only has 7 or 8 tablespaces needed by E-biz + any custom. I have no recommendations for you, but managing 50+ tablespaces (like in earlier E-biz models) is a pain.

Jeremy

P Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of April Wells Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:32 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: 10g on unix. Partitions... Tablespaces... and best practices

Okay, I need to know if there exists a best practices document that I can't find anywhere yet.

I need to find a way to justify (or change my way of thinking).

I have a data warehouse

I have heavily partitioned data (partition by month) with each partition in its own tablespace

Reasoning

I can make old data read only and speed up backups

I can maintain at the tablespace level

I can compres at the tablespace level

I have "way too many" tablespaces (this has been suggested more than once and has been posed as a problem with my thinking and my judgement) and there is supposed to be some document somewhere that says no database needs more than 50 tablespaces (odd though about that E-business suite thing for years).

Does anyone have any pointers to good partitioning best practices document so I can re-educate myself or something.

Thanks

April

April Wells

SR Oracle DBA

Netspend Corporation

http://www.netspend.com

Confidentiality Notice!
This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other writings are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) identified above. This message may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure under applicable law. If the receiver of this information is not the intended recipient, or the employee, or agent responsible for delivering the information to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reading, dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender by return email and delete the electronic transmission, including all attachments from your system.