Re: ORA-1031 when privileges have been granted

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 10:32:13 -0800

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Jason Heinrich <jheinrichdba_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> SQL> create type varchar2_table as table of varchar2(2000);
> 2 /
> create type varchar2_table as table of varchar2(2000);
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

It appears that something is broke, not just a permissions problem.

This if course is not news to you. :)

You might be able to track down what is happening by setting a system wide 10046
event, run the single SQL statement that generates a 10046, and then turn off
the 10046 trace.

Open a session as SYSDBA and a session as a user.

In the SYSDBA session turn tracing on.

In the user session, run the create table statement that generates and ORA-1031, and
then logoff.

Following that reset 10046 in the SYSDBA session.

  alter system set events '10046 trace name context forever, level 12';

  alter system set events '10046 trace name context off';

Examining the resulting trace files may be interesting.

I tried doing this with setting 10046 at the session level, but it did not include
the SYS queries to show how the dictionary was being queried.

Jared Still