Re: How are SQL Profiles calculated?

From: Charles Schultz <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 12:27:58 -0600

*grin* I do not know who inspired who, but I appreciate that you and many others have endeavored to expose the internals and help the rest of us unravel the mysteries hidden within.

Yes, I realize SQL Profiles is not new in 11g, but I was referring more specifically to the new Sql Plan Management - granted, I realize this is not exactly related. As I said, it is the direction that I find exciting. IBM's LEO (Learning Optimizer) seems to have set quite a stir in the Oracle world. =)

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Greg Rahn <> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Charles Schultz <>
> wrote:
> > Yes, that explains a lot, thank you very much!
> > It is exciting how 11g takes this concept ("cardinality feedback", thanks
> > Wolfgang!) even further.
> SQL Profiles are available in 10g, so it is not a new 11g feature.
> I believe Wolfgang was inspired by the slides I put together for this
> presentation:
> Oracle OpenWorld 2005: A Practical Approach to Optimizer Statistics in
> Oracle Database 10g
> which was based on some field work I had done at a few customer sites.
> --
> Regards,
> Greg Rahn

Charles Schultz