RE: Backup script runs on AIX but not on Linux

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:11:58 -0700

Mr. Abell just informed me his earlier email to the list, to which I already replied, didn't go through to the list because he doesn't have posting privileges yet so he asked me to post it for him. Here is his original email in full:

From: John Abell [mailto:john.abell_at_intnlsoftwareproducts.com] Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 11:34 AM To: tim_at_evdbt.com; Allen, Brandon
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Backup script runs on AIX but not on Linux

There used to be 2 parameters in the Red Hat and other Linux system's vsftpd.conf file that would remove these odd characters on a file transfer from things like Windows. The following is from one of our Red Hat systems. You could still if it applies to the latest Linux.

# By default the server will pretend to allow ASCII mode but in fact ignore
# the request. Turn on the below options to have the server actually do ASCII
# mangling on files when in ASCII mode.
# Beware that turning on ascii_download_enable enables malicious remote parties
# to consume your I/O resources, by issuing the command "SIZE /big/file" in
# ASCII mode.
# These ASCII options are split into upload and download because you may wish
# to enable ASCII uploads (to prevent uploaded scripts etc. from breaking),
# without the DoS risk of SIZE and ASCII downloads. ASCII mangling should be
# on the client anyway..

ascii_upload_enable=YES
ascii_download_enable=YES

John Abell