Re: Backup script runs on AIX but not on Linux

From: Mike Haddon <m.haddon_at_tx.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:14:05 -0600

I have some decent backup scripts that used ksh on AIX and Solaris for years. When I put them on a Linux (Redhat) server I got the exact error you are getting.

I looked and looked to find the problem, to no avail because syntactically the scripts were fine.

A Sysadmin I worked with asked me how I put the script on the Linux server. I had transfered the scripts with scp. He said that was the problem.

Naturally I was skeptical at best. I mean, how could that be the problem? He wouldn't even attempt to explain it, I later learned that was how he was.

So to prove the point I cut and pasted the script into a vi session and it ran fine. He says there were some special characters embedded by the version of ssh/scp and that he has seen it before. I was dumbfounded but happy that the scripts were fine.

I did uncover several differences in the version of the korn shell for Linux and AIX/Solaris and eventually converted the scripts to bash.

Let me know if this helps - I would be really curious if someone else ran into this.

Mike