RE: Default Temporary Tablespace

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 17:53:21 -0500

That setting affects what the temporary tablespace is for a newly created user. The only time where there might be a theoretical catch-22 is at database creation time in the phase where only system exists. But I'm not aware of a need for anything needing to actually sort anything at that phase, so I do not believe you can get yourself into a box canyon. There should not be a need to create new users when the only tablespace you can open is system, so I'm pretty sure you're in the clear.

If someone has a case that might be problematic, I'm all ears.

Still, it seems pretty cheeky of Oracle to INSIST that the default temporary tablespace is of TEMPORARY type when the database is not created that way!

In fact I believe the resource should not have to exist yet to have it be designated the temporary tablespace. Errors of that sort are best left for detection at run time and in the case of a temporary tablespace until you actually try to use temporary segments. The pre-emptive check can certainly be frustrated between being set and a user being created, so what benefit there is to making it an error instead of only a warning or advisory message is unclear to me.

Regards,

mwf