Default Temporary Tablespace

From: William Wagman <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:10:25 -0800

I'm running Oracle on RHEL4. Following Metalink note 273276.1 I resized the temporary tablespace in a test database. However, I was not paying attention and issued the command

SQL> alter database default temporary tablespace <new_temp_tablespace>;

although the temporary tablespace I was resizing was not the default temporary tablespace, the system tablespace was. Upon attempting to again make the system tablespace the default temporary tablespace I receive an ORA-12901 error...

SQL> alter database default temporary tablespace system; alter database default temporary tablespace system; *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-12901: default temporary tablespace must be of TEMPORARY type

My question is are there potential problems with the system tablespace *not* being the default temporary tablespace? If so what are the potential problems and is there a way to restore the system tablespace as the default temporary tablespace short of rebuilding the database?

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
(530) 754-6208