Re: How to improve performance using Oracle Spatial

From: Eriovaldo Andrietta <ecandrietta_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 14:57:32 -0200

Hi friends,

a.) I am using: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Prod, running on Windows Vista (for study), in the company it runs on Unix.

b.) Yes, there are spatial indexes.

      My goal is look at the trace result in order to know if the index is selective

c.) There are lot of procedures running. There are lot of queries running inside of each process, using spatial and not spatial data.

     It takes around 3 hours to finish (in my computer at home).

d.) I generated the trace for the hole process and got a big trc file, it is with 4.439.703kb.

     I used:
            to start: exec dbms_system.set_ev (131,801,10046,12, '');
            to stop: exec dbms_system.set_ev (131,801,10046,0, '');

     I am trying generate the .txt file using the following command:
       tkprof

C:\Oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\admin\oracle10\udump\oracle10_ora_4036.trc c:\a_eri\trace4036.txt

     but the program is stopping while running and does not generate the .txt file :(

     I cannot see the trace result.

Question 1 : How can I extract information from the trc file ? Is there another way ?

Question 2 : Can I select the information for extract ?

My concerns:

     If I cannot extract .txt from trc I will run the process step by step and getting not big trc files to be possible evaluate its.

thanks
Eriovaldo