Re: dbms package? - analyze table validate structure

From: Alex Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:48:30 -0500

Christian,

your statement is true. RMAN's check logical will not catch stuff like ora-8102 (index key not found, which usually pops up as ora-1499 during analyze indeed).

The somewhat limited error detection is still very useful in my opinion since it is good for catching incorrectly written blocks and is relatively lightweight (just add check logical to your full backup). It was worth checking if author can get along with it.

Though analyze provides a much broader corruption detection, piling your database objects with it will require more resource as well (this is not something you can get as a free lunch during your full backup).

My two cents, thanks and happy new year.

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com> wrote:
> Hi Jon
>
>> > Jon, you may consider using RMAN's
>> >
>> > backup [validate] check logical ....
>>
>> Interesting, I did think about this option, I will look into that.
>
> AFAIK only ANALYZE is able to find inconsistencies between data and
> index blocks (e.g. ORA-01499: table/index cross reference failure). As a
> result, RMAN with CHECK LOGICAL is of limited for corrupted indexes.
>

> HTH
> Chris Antognini
>
> Troubleshooting Oracle Performance, Apress 2008
> http://top.antognini.ch

Alex Fatkulin,
http://afatkulin.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexfatkulin