Re: Query processing takes very variable time

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:06:49 -0600

Pradeep,

As others have pointed out, there can be many reasons for erratic behavior.

Here is my personal favorite. If you are using bind variables, the first time the statement is parsed, an execution plan is created, and all subsequent executions use that plan. So, suppose after the database is bounced, the first execution has bind variables that causes an unusual execution plan. All future executions will get that plan. Nice.

Dennis Williams