RE: db_recovery_file_dest_size

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:25:23 -0700

It simply gives you the ability to restrict the disk usage without having to create separate file systems (or disk groups in ASM) for each database's recovery files. If you don't like it, just set it to 1000G, or some other large number and move on. Oracle does have max_dump_file_size so that's similar to the core_dump_dest_size you asked about. I don't see the difference between planning for the size of the flash recovery area and planning for the size of your filesystem if you prefer to make separate filesystems? Here are some good tips specifically for sizing the FRA - maybe that will help (section 3.5.3):

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14192/setup005.htm#BRBSC183

Also, you can easily setup monitoring on the FRA to alert you when it's getting full, in fact I think it's enabled by default out of the box with DB Console and Grid Control, but not positive on that.

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Michael Fontana

What is really bizarre about this parameter is exactly what you describe, Jon. It has no real bearing on reality. I can set it to some mythical number much higher than the actual file system, and I can set it to 80mg with a 20tb database.

So what's the point of it?