Re: Running utlrp creates too many Pnnn processes

From: Maureen English <sxmte_at_email.alaska.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:53:29 -0900

Thanks Luca,

That solution was suggested by another Oracle-L member, too (thanks Paul).

In the meantime, I did manage to sort of determine the reason for the problem.

The cpu_count parameter is 64. It is one of the parameters used to calculate the value of the parallel_max_servers parameter. The value of the processes parameter is also used in that calculation, though it is not mentioned in the Reference Guide. When I increased the value of processes, the value of parallel_max_servers increased. I only did a few tests and found that at processes=300, parallel_max_servers was set to 285, but when processes was set to 1500, parallel_max_servers was only 1280 and I only had 276 parallel query slaves start up.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough memory available to run the database with processes set to 1500.... So, one solution is to set the parallel_max_servers parameter to something lower than the calculation, or run ultprp.sql with a parameter instead of running ultrp.sql.

  • Maureen