RE: Running utlrp creates too many Pnnn processes

From: Luca Canali <>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:26:27 +0100

I have seen this too. Although I have never tested it, the solution seems to use $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlprp.sql instead, see below for the relevant snippet from the header of that file (BTW ultrp is implemented as a simple call to utlprp with parameter 0)

Rem The degree of parallelism for recompilation can be controlled by

Rem      providing a parameter to this script. If this parameter is 0 or
Rem      NULL, UTL_RECOMP will automatically determine the appropriate
Rem      level of parallelism based on Oracle parameters cpu_count and
Rem      parallel_threads_per_cpu. If the parameter is 1, sequential
Rem      recompilation is used. Please see the documentation for package
Rem      UTL_RECOMP for more details.