RE: best way to determine whether data in a table has changed in the last 24 hours

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:42:07 -0600 (CST)

> Have you enabled table monitoring?.....if so query dba_tab_modifications
> to see if that tells you anything.

Beware that the dba_tab_modifications view has limitations:

  • The counts are NOT persistent across DB bounces.
  • The counts are generally only since the last stats gathering, so if the truncate happened minutes/hours/days/weeks after the last stats were gathered (very likely), one can't use this view to determine activity since the truncate.
  • The view is not updated frequently. From memory, it's somewhere near every 3 hours.

Summary -- I wouldn't rely on this view in this case.

Judging by the DP export comment from the OP, I'd have to assume that archivelog mode is not enabled? So I'm thinking that logminer would not be an option.

If by chance archivelog mode is enabled, logminer would work, or one could restore backups to an alternate server/location/whatever (FOLLOWING YOUR SITE-SPECIFIC RECOVERY PROCEDURES of course), and recover the table data diffs.

GL!

My $.02 (adjusted for seasonal rates),
Rich