Re: what is the main purpose of cloning a database.

From: dave <david.best_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:43:56 -0500

Like others have mentioned, cloning provides you with the ability to take a copy of a production environment and use it for development, testing patches and configuration changes before you make them into production, etc.

There are a couple of ways to clone a database but the easiest is to use RMANs duplicate feature. Its very easy to automate a clone and I even have some databases which are refreshed nightly with a copy of production.