Re: lazydba gone?

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:29:55 -0800 (PST)

[adding to merits of Oracle-L] minimum off-topic messages, or as Steve calls it, high signal-to-noise ratio.

To make my message less off-topic, I want to share two tips to read Oracle-L.

  1. If you read messages in digest form (one big message per day), it's better to use Firefox or Netscape. You can press ^F to find the word "subject" and keep pressing Enter to jump to the next subject line. To read the message you're interested in, press Shift-Enter to go back. Only if the message is longer than a screen do you press PageUp and PageDown.

I recommend Netscape over Firefox. It can shrink its working set especially when its window is minimized (as if you ran empty.exe on it). Firefox doesn't do that.

2. Archived messages are at www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/. But the monthly message page no longer has the Thread view, where messages are arranged in hierarchy according to followup order. I'm told it will be put back some time later. Before that happens, you can do this:

For instance, you want to read full-month messages at http://www.freelists.org/archive/oracle-l/10-2008 you just save the HTML page to a local file, say tmp.html, then run

sort tmp.html > temp.html
set path=%path%;C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\perl\5.8.3\bin\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread perl -pi.bak -e "s#a href=\"/#a href=\"http://freelists.org/#" temp.html

(adjust perl.exe's path as needed)
and open temp.html in browser. It won't show indentation but it groups same-subject messages together and they're ordered by their message number. So it most closely mimics what the old thread view provides.

If you don't do this, you can go into each message and view "Other related posts".

3. The quickest way to search for a message is "the_keyword_you_want site:freelists.org/archive/oracle-l" (no quotes).

Yong Huang