RE: All instances for service are AVAIL none PREF in RAC

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:04:07 -0500

That is a HUGE it depends.

If you have at least two services that are significantly disjoint in the database objects they use, they you might significantly reduce your total RAC TAX by putting one service as preferred on one instance and the other preferred on the other instance. To the extent that a sincle instances' horsepower can keep up with each service, it may be possible to do the same amount of work with less overhead.

If you have services that are unpredictable in how they overlap in use of database objects over time, then such "APPLICATION AFFINITY" won't buy you much, and you might as well treat your array of nodes "statmux" the way the S.A.M.E. protocol treats the disk farm.

Regards,

mwf