Simple insert - 36,000 physical reads

From: Dennis Williams <>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:55:12 -0600

Oracle, Solaris 8

I've found a simple insert that has:

     1 execution
     2,512,102 Buffer Gets
     36,479 Physical Reads
     1 Parse call
     1 Row

This insert statement appears quite a few times in the AWR report, and for the times I see it, the statistics are pretty close to what I've listed. The insert just has a list of columns and a list of values. No subqueries. There is a TO_DATE conversion on two columns.This is a real table, not a view.

Does anyone have any suggestions of why a simple insert could cause this much database activity?

Thanks to Brandon for suggesting awrsqrpt.sql in response to another question. That is a great tool.

Dennis Williams