RE: Max Logging

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:48:41 -0500

Hi Howard,

You could set SQL tracing at the instance level, but that's probably almost certainly NOT what you want to do.

Most likely, when the lockup happens, you'll want to take a system state dump, wait a few minutes, and take another one.

Oracle support will be able to use the two dumps to determine if the system is REALLY locking up, or if it's just running really slowly. They'll look at the two dumps and see if they look the same. If the system state changed between the two dumps, then it's not a lockup, just a severe performance problem. The trouble shooting approaches could be significantly different.

Other things to consider are, what's CPU usage look like on the box? Is it pegged at 100%? Is it practically at 0%? This will reveal something about the nature of the lockup, i.e., is the system spinning? Or sitting blocked on a lock somewhere?

You're probably going to need to open an SR and work w/ Oracle Support on this. I my estimation, diagnosing a lockup without Oracle support is going to be tough.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--

Mark J. Bobak
Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies ProQuest

ProQuest...Start here.