Re: DB RAID Setup

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:29:57 -0800

The first thing I would recommend is to look at v$event_histogram. This will give you a breakdown of where the times are falling into. Averages from AWR, etc, can be very misleading in this case.

select wait_time_milli, count(*)
from v$event_histogram
where event='log file sync'
group by wait_time_milli
order by 1

WAIT_TIME_MILLI COUNT(*)

--------------- ----------------
	      1 	       1
	      2 	       1
	      4 	       1
	      8 	       1
	     16 	       1
	     32 	       1
	     64 	       1
	    128 	       1
	    256 	       1
	    512 	       1

(output for reference only)

You could also do a weighted average (wait_time_milli * count(*)) to get a "biggest bucket" view. Sometimes a few large values can be very problematic. On very busy systems these will stall and cause an issue where the system doesn't recover until load drops significantly.

Second, there are a bunch of bugs that relate to log file sync. 7452373
6352003
6193945
5896963
5147386
5087592
Work with Oracle support on these. Some are RAC specific. These are all fixed in 11.1.0.7 and 10.2.0.5. One offs are available I believe.

Good luck!

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn