RE: Long-Term Archiving

From: Stauffer, Robert G <rstauffer_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:36:52 -0500

Uwe,

Assuming you'll be using Oracle in ten years and Oracle keeps its promise, export is probably a good bet. But here's an interesting, "simple" alternative. At regular intervals, extract the app and dictionary table data to text files, extract the code to text files, keep a printed data model, and archive it all to disk, CD, DVD, etc. - some type of storage that has a good chance of being around in ten years. This allows you to read the data and be able to determine how the app handles it without actually having the app and database running. And it would work for non-Oracle databases and apps. It's a simple concept, but not a new one. And no, we haven't implemented it. We've been using export - for now.

Bob Stauffer
DBA
D&E Communications
Ephrata, PA