RE: Locking over a DB link

From: Baumgartel, Paul <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:03:30 -0500

I can't think of any reason why any Oracle read would cause a lock--after all, readers never block writers, etc. Even if a DB link is involved that shouldn't change. But I'm sure someone out there will prove me wrong. ;-)

Paul Baumgartel
Information Technology
Prime Services Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
Phone 212.538.1143

[] On Behalf Of Jason Heinrich Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 3:54 PM To: Oracle List
Subject: Re: Locking over a DB link

Sorry, forgot the db info:

Both databases are EE on Windows 2003. Remote database is a logical standby.

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Jason Heinrich <> wrote:

        I was wondering if it was possible for SQL similar to the following to cause a lock to be created on the remote database:

	insert into localtable
	(select columns from remotetable_at_dblink where <some condition>);
	My first reaction was no, but I thought I remembered locking
oddities over links being discussed before. So far I haven't found anything useful in my searches though.
	Jason Heinrich

Jason Heinrich