RE: oracle account in /etc/passwd

From: Bellows, Bambi \(Comsys\) <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:53:34 -0600

IIRC, it means that your password file is shadowed by your system administrator.

HTH, Bambi.

[] On Behalf Of Joe Smith Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 11:15 AM To:
Subject: oracle account in /etc/passwd

I am having trouble getting my scripts to login and run against a 10g database on solaris 8.

I can login from the cmd prompt as sysdba all day long.

this is the only entry in /etc/passwd that refers to oracle:

(oracle) $ more /etc/passwd

In /etc/group I see no entries for dba and oinstall. Oracle and oinstall are the software installers and owners.

Again I can login to sql*plus as sysdba with no problem.

What does the +oracle entry mean in /etc/passwd?

Is it authenticating from some other mechanism?

You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. Learn more about Windows Live <>