RE: oracle account in /etc/passwd

From: Joe Smith <joe_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:37:26 -0600

The script sets up its own oracle environment. The scripts have been used already for 6 years and on multiple databases.

Subject: RE: oracle account in /etc/passwdDate: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:27:34 -0700From: JSweetser_at_icat.comTo: joe_dba_at_hotmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org

How are you trying to run the scripts? Cron? If so, you will need to source your .whatever (.profile, .cshrc, .kshrc, etc) as part of the script you are running. Or the script that sets up your Oracle environment. Here's a link that speaks to this: http://linuxshellaccount.blogspot.com/2007/10/crontab-and-your-environment.html

ymmv,
-joeConfidentiality Note: This message contains information that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not use, copy, disclose, distribute or take any action based on this message. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this message. Although ICAT Holdings, LLC, Underwriters at Lloyd's, Syndicate 4242, scans e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses. Thank you.
Disclaimer added by CodeTwo Exchange Ruleswww.codetwo.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Joe SmithSent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 10:15 AMTo: oracle-l_at_freelists.orgSubject: oracle account in /etc/passwd  I am having trouble getting my scripts to login and run against a 10g database on solaris 8. I can login from the cmd prompt as sysdba all day long. this is the only entry in /etc/passwd that refers to oracle: (oracle) $ more /etc/passwd+oracle:x::::: In /etc/group I see no entries for dba and oinstall. Oracle and oinstall are the software installers and owners. Again I can login to sql*plus as sysdba with no problem. What does the +oracle entry mean in /etc/passwd? Is it authenticating from some other mechanism? thanks.

You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. Learn more about Windows Live

You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032869/direct/01/
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Dec 09 2008 - 11:37:26 CST

Original text of this message