RE: Timing for Cloning with Flashback Database vs other methods

From: John Hallas <John.Hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 21:03:28 +0000

Ah right, a combination of DG and flashback which I did hear mentioned somewhere this week. I might see about trying that out but it does sound rather complex and time-consuming Having used duplicate database before I really think that is the way to go, although as I said in my last post the EM clone option seems quite good as well.

If anybody cares to try out the whizz-bang approach then feel free to blog about it.

John

www.jhdba.wordpress.com

From: Claudia Zeiler [mailto:czeiler_at_ecwise.com] Sent: 05 December 2008 21:00
To: niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com; bbel5_at_allstate.com Cc: John Hallas; oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Timing for Cloning with Flashback Database vs other methods

I saw Lutz Hartmann give a demo of that at 2007 Open World on a toy database. It looked really wiz-bang. His demo also involved ASM in the mix. I took notes intending to try it out, and then didn't. -Claudia

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 12:54 PM To: bbel5_at_allstate.com
Cc: John Hallas; oracle-l_at_freelists.org

That sounds like

  1. setup standby - physical
  2. open standby read-write at time x
  3. do stuff
  4. flashback to before x
  5. resume standby

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility, and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.