Re: Changing block size

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:14:57 -0600

Eugene,

You may want to study how to improve the performance of databases. Start by investigating what the performance problems are today. Oracle really doesn't have a "go-fast" button. Increasing the block size may improve performance in some areas, but someone may have set the block size years ago for a reason. Or maybe not.

    There may be other reasons for slow performance. For example, if this database has continually grown over the years (very normal) and some of the queries do full table scans, then the users may see slower performance over time.

    I'm obviously making some assumptions based on your questions. If you've already performed a performance analysis then ignore my suggestions. I'm just writing this assuming you may be relatively new to Oracle. Or maybe you just inherited the job from somebody else. :-)

Dennis Williams