Re: 8i-10g upgrade

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:06:41 -0800

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Bort, Guillermo <guillermo.bort_at_eds.com>wrote:

> We thought about DBMS_REDEFINITION (or the legacy alter table move),
> however that would imply creating new tablespaces, and since the rdbms
> server a SAP aplication, creating new tablespaces is a bit of a headache,
> and moving objects arround is even worse. So basically we need to have the
> same structure on another server, move the tbs to locally and still have the
> db synchronized.

What exactly is it about SAP that is causing a problem with creating new tablespaces?

There is a transaction available that allows changing the tablespace name for a table/index IIRC.
(don't know the trans number, and I don't bring SAP stuff home :) That could probably be executed with ABAP code.

My own experience with SAP would lead me to think that the real problem lies somewhere in the BASIS team...

Jared