RE: High Resource consuming SQL in Statspack ?

From: Keith Moore <>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:31:20 -0600 (CST)

So, the command is using about 5% of one CPU (1 minute out of 20). If you have 5 CPUs (to make the math easy), the statement is using 1% of total CPU resources. I wouldn't say that's good or bad. If it is coming from an application that cannot be changed then there isn't anything you can do about it. If it's a 'ping' type query from the application server you may be able to adjust the frequency. There was a thread on that a week or two back.

I wouldn't say any particular % of total is bad for a query. If I'm the only one on a system and execute 'select sysdate from dual' then I have used 100% of the total CPU used (Ok, ignoring recursive SQL, system generated SQL, etc).